Reports to: Director ⬫ Location: Remote ⬫ Closing Date: September 20, 2021
The International Trans Fund (ITF) is the only trans-led, global funder focused on safety, dignity, and justice for trans people. We aim to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self- determination, and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe. The ITF is currently hosted at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice but intends to become an autonomous, registered organization by 2022.
We are looking for a colleague to support our communications, with the goal of deepening our relationships with our grantee and funding partners and building support for global trans movements. The ITF is a fast-paced environment where details matter because, ultimately, our daily decisions and actions must serve and meet the needs of trans-led movements across different global contexts. As a team, we value exchange and the instinct to seek help and input. We also value curiosity and a willingness to experiment with new practices to improve our work.
Please read through the following details to see if you’d like to complete the application form for this vacancy.
Qualities (personality traits, interests and preferences that describe you)
- Deeply connected and committed to trans movement building.
- Great at connecting with others and getting your message across in spoken, written and visual forms of communication.
- Interested in (learning and applying) inclusion and accessibility in digital communications.
- Good at organizing your own time and planning to meet your responsibilities.
- Creative in solving problems and bringing fresh thinking to obstacles.
- Invested in nurturing a positive work environment rooted in shared purpose and shared wellbeing.
- Open to discussing and exchanging on work with colleagues.
Knowledge (specialist expertise, experience, or access to networks that you bring to the role)
- Direct and in-depth understanding of the different issues that can face trans movements in different contexts.
- In-depth knowledge of digital communications such as websites, email, social media, digital publications; its value, its potential and its limits.
- Extensive knowledge of the functionalities of different social media platforms.
- Understanding of how to build and expand networks and audiences using digital communications.
- Proficiency using platforms such as Microsoft Office Programs, Canva, Mailchimp, etc.
- Working knowledge of computers, databases and other technology, including troubleshooting.
1. Things you can do independently and effectively
- Communicate in a clear, authentic, and engaging way in English.
- Develop engaging and accessible written and visual content with thought, care, and integrity.
- Write, copy edit, and manage content for online and offline platforms.
- Prioritize which tasks and/or messages will help achieve short-term and long-term goals.
2. Things that would be highly valued
- Experience creating audiovisual materials is an asset.
- Ability to develop engaging and accessible content in Spanish
- Existing knowledge of inclusion and accessibility tools and guidance for digital communications.
Communications Associate Accountabilities (what colleagues can rely on you to do)
Communications Strategy & Planning (40%)
- Support the Director to deliver on the ITF’s Communication Strategy and participate in the development and roll-out of quarterly action plan.
- Ensure that communications opportunities and considerations are integrated into the ITF’s work through the co-creation of workplans.
- Periodically assess the ITF’s communications channels (social media, email, website, and publications) and propose ideas and approaches to improve its effectiveness.
- Seek platforms, opportunities, and partnerships to promote the work and purpose of the ITF in support of fundraising.
- Serve as a communications thought partner to ITF colleagues; assist the Director with communications-related decision-making.
Communications Implementation (30%)
- Create infographics, print materials and other graphics to amplify opportunities for current and future grantee partners.
- Develop materials/publications that showcase the work and resourcing needs of the trans-led organizations we support.
- Manage and grow the ITF’s presence and networks on social media platforms and the email listserv.
- Manage and develop written, visual, audio and video content for the ITF website.
- Develop templates and guidance for communications and outreach materials like statements, press briefings etc. with due attention to inclusion, reach and accessibility.
- Regularly report and monitor metrics to assess the effectiveness of our communications strategy.
- Manage the redevelopment and relaunch of the ITF’s website (e.g., work with web designer, develop content, etc.).
Programmatic Communications Support (20%)
- Provide communications support to the Director and program team, including developing slide decks, fact sheets, infographics, etc.
- Support the Director in producing organizational documents, e.g., quarterly reports, Annual Reports, impact assessments, etc.
- Coordinate the communications aspects of ITF events (webinars, fundraising events, etc.)
Additional Duties and Expectations (10%)
- Attend and participate in relevant webinars, conferences, and other professional development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is remote and does not require a work visa.
- The salary range is $55,000 – 60,000 USD/year.
- As one of the few trans-led funders in the philanthropic space, we are committed to expanding the circle of trans people active in this sector. Trans people are encouraged to apply.
- We are committed to representing the diversity that exists across the trans community. We especially welcome applicants who are typically underrepresented in funded civic action positions, including trans women and feminine people, people of color, black folks, sex workers, people with disabilities and who were born or who originate from a Global South country are encouraged to apply.
We continue to strive to make our workplace accessible and look for ways to challenge white supremacist culture. We acknowledge that we aren’t there yet, we recognize this is ongoing work for the organization, and we know that this will require us to demonstrate – rather than describe – our commitment in the practices of the organization.
How to Apply
Please complete the application form by September 20, 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (we are not accepting CVs or cover letters for this position).
The ITF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, collaborative, and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.transfund.org