The ITF funds trans-led groups working to benefit the trans community and contributing to trans movement building. Your group does not need to be registered to apply for funding.
We have one grantmaking cycle per year and we only accept complete applications.
To be eligible for funding groups must be meet the following criteria:
- Trans led; (1) Trans people are in decision-making roles, including setting the organization’s strategic and financial priorities AND Trans people make up 75% of the group’s staff, and Board, spokespeople, and/or decision-making body. If not, groups must demonstrate how trans people make budget, organizational and strategic decisions.
- Operating budget under $150,000.
- Group of people (i.e. Not an individual).
- The main focus of work is to benefit the trans community.
- Contributes to movement building, not just providing direct services.
The ITF priorities in this funding cycle are to:
- Fund a diversity of groups, including around regions, languages, gender identities, strategies and issues.
- Reach trans communities facing greater levels of marginalization (E.g. racism, classism, ageism, ableism, misogyny and so on).
- Support trans groups whose work contributes to social justice, movement building, and the liberation of trans people.
The ITF supports a wide range of movement building activities, which can include awareness raising events, direct action, educational seminars, trainings, support groups, media projects, political advocacy, resource development, art and activism collaborations, community-based research, community spaces, skills sharing courses, leadership or personal development programs, educational campaigns, demonstrations, mobilizing communities and many other activities. We are happy to support creative and innovative activities not listed above.
What we do not fund
The ITF does not fund the following:
- Organizations that are not led by trans people.
- Organizations that do not do work specifically to benefit trans people or communities.
- Groups, collectives, and networks with operating budgets above USD $150,000.
- Groups and projects that only provide direct services to individuals without contributing to movement building in some way.
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)