The ITF has core principles that guide our grantmaking:
- The Trans Fund is audacious. We take calculated risks, break down barriers, and embrace new initiatives inspired by our communities.
- We believe in working together to create a world where all people are valued, respected, and celebrated.
- We hold self-determination as a core value. Trans leadership, decision making and power are critical to the Fund. We believe trans people are creative and resilient, and fully capable of creating, improving, and sustaining their communities and movements.
- The Trans Fund is part of the broader human rights and social justice communities.
- We come from multiple places, histories, experiences, politics, and identities.
- We value the diversity of trans movements (including gender identity, bodily autonomy, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, geography, age, disability, religion, class/socioeconomic status), and respect and honor our differences.
- We value the wellbeing, safety, security, and sustainability of trans activists and movements, and strive to do no harm. We believe trans people should be equitably compensated for their expertise and labor.
- We respect each other, acknowledging we have different levels of power and privilege. We work together with integrity and hold ourselves accountable to trans movements.
- We strive to be transparent in our work while protecting the safety and confidentiality of activists and organizations.
- We are responsive to trans communities, and believe the Fund’s responses must be flexible and accessible to meet the needs of trans movements.
- We treat each other with kindness, humor, and best intent.
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)