Reports to: Director ⬫ Closing Date: April 25, 2022
About the Organization
The International Trans Fund (ITF) is a trans activist and funder-led initiative that aims to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self- determination, and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe.
We are looking for a colleague to work in a fast-paced environment where details matter because ultimately, our daily decisions and actions have to serve and meet the needs of trans-led movements across different global contexts. As a team, we value exchange and the instinct to seek help and input. We also value curiosity and a willingness to experiment with new practices to improve our work.
Please read through the following details to see if you’d like to submit an application for this vacancy.
Personal Qualities (personality traits, interests and preferences that describe you)
- Deep connections to trans movements for social justice.
- Committed to integrity in the process as well as the outcomes.
- Creative in solving problems and bringing fresh thinking to obstacles.
- Comfortable taking the lead when necessary to move things forward.
- Invested in a positive work environment: shared purpose and shared wellbeing.
- Ready to take decisions even without an ideal or obvious solution.
- Comfortable managing multiple tracks of work at once.
- Open to discussing and exchanging on work with colleagues.
- The instinct to pull together as a team and to support others around you.
Knowledge (specialist expertise, experience, or access to networks that you bring to the role)
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Accounting, or any other relevant field combined with relative work experience. CA/CPA designation or in the progress is an asset.
- Proficiency with managing budgets, revenues and expenses of a $2M+ organization. Financial Analysis, Dashboards and financial and non-financial consolidation of information.
- Familiarity with auditing, accounting for nonprofits, grant management, donors grants and contracts management, internal controls, staff management, payroll and cost accounting principles and practices.
- Experience working with senior staff and leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of financial reporting programs, internal controls, accounting databases, financial policies and procedures, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Significant experience with Accounting Software and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems with a preference of QuickBooks.
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities.
- Familiarity with human resources management, knowledge of Ontario Employment Standard Act (ESA), Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), Anti-racism Anti-Oppression (ARAO) and collective self-care practices.
- Familiarity and knowledge of basic administration management, logistics and operation support to a small but mighty team working virtually and globally.
Things you can do independently and effectively
- Develop and implement accurate cash management strategies and monitor cash position.
- Track, update and ensure that all funds remitted / transferred are documented and posted into the ledger.
- Analyze financial data for statement preparation and to support management decisions.
- Interpret and communicate financial information in a clear and effective manner.
- Lead audit preparedness and act as primary liaison with external auditors, prepare all financial information for annual audit and implement recommended changes.
- Participate in processes of shared learning, e.g. help our work and practices to grow stronger.
- Manage your agenda, prioritize and plan thoughtfully to meet your own – and others’ – deadlines.
- Engage in collaborative decision-making, co-creation and planning.
- Accounting data entry based on complete and relevant supporting documents and in accordance with ITF policies and budget.
- Manage the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) including creating employment and contractors contracts, update the HR system and support the Director in tracking staff paid time off and other HR matters.
- Support Budget development including budget not limited to new proposals, annual operating budgets and others as required by management and Board.
- Ensure the organization’s compliance with the Canada Non-Profit Corporations Act, Canada Revenue Agency and other governmental entities.
- Manage and process the staff payroll, both in Canada and for the non-resident team members.
- Support team meetings and in-person gathering with the required travel logistics, per diems and hotel bookings.
- Manage and maintain the organization’s relationship with key service providers for operational services including banks, insurance broker, payroll service provider, IT and others as needed.
- Develop, maintain and update the organization’s key operational policies including finance, admin, logistics, HR and others as needed.
Finance and Operations Senior Officer Accountabilities (what colleagues can rely on you to do)
- Develop and implement accurate cash management strategies and undertake the approval of expenditures for staff, consultants, suppliers, grantees, and other external parties; Manage cash flow and preparation of pipelines for review by the Director to ensure availability of funds for the implementation of program activities for the ITF.
- Examine financial data, including that related to procurement, for accuracy and compliance with ITF and donor policies and procedures and plan for and facilitate compliance checks and audits.
- Check and authorize entries for coding and posting to the QuickBooks ledger system ensuring accuracy and prompt processing.
- Perform review of reconciliations of subsidiary schedules/records for all Balance Sheet Accounts, to GL control account reviewing transactions and reconciling various accounts/balances relating to ledger balances; Review of the bank reconciliations.
- Monitor cash position including preparation of remittance requests on a timely basis; Track, update and ensure that all other funds remitted / transferred are duly documented and posted into the ledger.
- Review invoices and other payment vouchers prior to submitting them for approval ensuring accuracy and correctness and that amounts due and payable are indicated on the invoices; Keep proper record of all prepayments, accruals and related accounts.
- Ensure audit preparedness and attend to the needs of auditors by way of participating in pre-audit meetings, prepare audit schedules as per checklist made available and any other pertinent supporting analysis; Act as primary liaison with external auditors, prepare all financial information for annual audit, implement recommended changes.
- Prepare monthly payroll payments in time.
- Vet, review and ensure all other payments (cash, transfers, etc.) are duly supported.
- Prepare financial statements (P&L, balance sheet, cash flow, variance analysis) and generate financial reports to senior management, Board and Donors.
- Ensure that all monthly tax payments, statutory & regulatory deductions & other returns are accurate & complete as well as they are remitted in time; Ensure timely preparation of tax returns & other forms to tax authorities.
- Support in the development of financial policies and procedures.
- Work with the Director on annual budget preparation and new proposals’ development.
- Manage the corporate credit card programs including card issuance, monthly statement settlement collection of supporting documents and reconciliation with QuickBooks.
- Manage and perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Prepare contracts for staff, contractors and other service providers following the ITF’s policies and guidelines.
- Liaison with key service providers to ensure quality and cost effective services are provided to the ITF and its team including IT, travel, insurance, etc.
- Ensure the fulfillment and compliance with the organization’s HR policies and practices including supporting the team with their health and wellness reimbursement, group health program management (for the Canadian staff) and responding to staff inquiries about eligibility of expenses and other personnel issues.
- Ensure the fulfillment of the ITF’s obligations towards the Government of Canada reporting requirements (e.g. Annual Corporation Return, Tax Return and others, update the organizing documents as needed).
- Manage and perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
- This position is based in Canada, preferably in Ontario although it is primarily work from home. The ITF is not able to offer visa sponsorship for this position, therefore only individuals who are eligible to work in Canada are invited to apply. While we unfortunately cannot provide a work permit/visa sponsorship for this positions, persons who are eligible and originate from a Global South country are encouraged to apply.
- The salary range is between $50,000 and $60,000 USD/year commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefit package including Extended Health Care, RRSP, Wellness and paid time-off policy among other things.
- Travel may be required from time to time depending on public health advice and the organization’s internal plans and assessment.
- As one of the few trans-led funders in the philanthropic space, we are committed to expanding the circle of trans people active in this sector. Trans people are encouraged to apply.
- We are committed to representing the diversity that exists across the trans community. We especially welcome applicants who are typically underrepresented in leadership positions, including trans women and feminine people, people of color, Black folks, sex workers, people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We continue to strive to make our workplace accessible and look for ways to challenge white supremacist culture. We acknowledge that we aren’t there yet, we recognize that this is an ongoing work for the organization, and we know that this will require us to demonstrate – rather than describe – our commitment in the practices of the organization.
- Application- Submit CV and Cover letter describing your connection to our vision, mission and your understanding of the Finance and Operations Senior Officer role.
- Interview with tasks linked to the role (selected by invitation) – Zoom interviews, which provide an opportunity to demonstrate how you’d approach the role, for us to get to know your working process and for you to hear more about the day-to-day work environment at the ITF.
We will inform candidates of the outcome of their application at each step.
Please submit an application by April 25, 2022.