DEPUTY DIRECTOR, INTERNATIONAL TRANS FUND
Reports to: Director ⬫ Location: Remote ⬫ Closing Date: June 14, 2021
The International Trans Fund (ITF) is the only trans-led, global funder focused on safety, dignity and justice for trans people. We aim to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self- determination, and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe. The ITF is currently hosted at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice but intends to become an autonomous, registered organization by 2022.
We are looking for a colleague to work in a fast-paced environment where details matter because ultimately, our daily decisions and actions have to serve and meet the needs of trans-led movements across different global contexts. As a team, we value exchange and the instinct to seek help and input. We also value curiosity and a willingness to experiment with new practices to improve our work.
Please read through the following details to see if you’d like to complete the initial expression of interest for this vacancy.
Personal Qualities (personality traits, interests and preferences that describe you)
Knowledge (specialist expertise, experience, or access to networks that you bring to the role)
1. Things you can do independently and effectively
2. Things that would be highly valued
Deputy Director Accountabilities (what colleagues can rely on you to do)
- Contribute reflective, political, and practical input to leadership decisions on ITF’s strategy, goals, team management and practices, e.g. advice and support for the ITF Director role.
- Represent the ITF externally, with key philanthropic networks and alliances, donors, LGBTQI and other relevant organizations and networks, and media, e.g. networking, speaking engagements.
- Ensure that the priorities and aspirations of trans movements globally are voiced, heard and understood in philanthropic and institutional settings, e.g. help to build ITF’s core messaging.
- Ensure that ITF’s day-to-day programing models nimble, flexible and responsive grantmaking, e.g. leading on learning processes, building pathways into the sector for people in the trans community who are under-represented in paid / leadership roles.
- Maintain effective channels of communication between and among the ITF team (including management) and the Steering Committee, e.g. managing internal communications, convening.
- Play an active role in developing ITF’s fundraising strategy and a practical role in implementing the strategy, e.g. co-writing funding proposals, reports, and meeting with potential donors.
- Step in, if necessary, to support colleagues or complete activities to ensure that the ITF meets its commitments to grantees, funders or other ITF stakeholders.
- This position is remote. The ITF is not able to offer visa sponsorship for this position.
- The salary range is $90,000 – 100,000 USD/year commensurate with experience.
- As one of the few trans-led funders in the philanthropic space, we are committed to expanding the circle of trans people active in this sector. Trans people are encouraged to apply.
- We are committed to representing the diversity that exists across the trans community. We especially welcome applicants who are typically underrepresented in leadership positions, including trans women and feminine people, people of color, black folks, sex workers, people with disabilities, people born or who originate from a Global South country are encouraged to apply.
We continue to strive to make our workplace accessible and look for ways to challenge white supremacist culture. We acknowledge that we aren’t there yet, we recognize this is ongoing work for the organization, and we know that this will require us to demonstrate – rather than describe – our commitment in the practices of the organization.
- Expression of Interest – an online questionnaire to understand your connection to our vision, mission and your understanding of the Deputy Director role
- Applications (selected by invitation) – an application form to match your experience to the key requirements for the Deputy Director role at the ITF
- Interview with tasks linked to the role (selected by invitation) – Zoom interviews, which provide an opportunity to demonstrate how you’d approach the role, for us to get to know your working process and for you to hear more about the day-to-day work environment at the ITF.
We will inform candidates of the outcome of their application at each step.
How to Apply
Please complete the expression of interest questionnaire by June 14.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com (we are not accepting CVs or cover letters for this position).
The ITF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.transfund.org
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)