The Steering Committee of the International Trans Fund (ITF) invites bids from consultants to develop and produce our first Strategic Plan (2020-2025).
Terms of Reference
The ITF is a trans activist and funder-led initiative that aims to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self-determination and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe. The ITF is fiscally hosted at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
As a participatory grantmaker, our strategic planning process seeks to ensure that the ITF is connected and responsive to the needs of global trans movements.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a Strategic Plan (2020-2025) to ensure that ITF fulfils its mandate and continues to develop as a robust and sustainable organization.
3. Scope of Work
The consultant will write a Strategic Plan for 2020-2025, outlining ITF’s goals, priorities, and guiding principles for the organization’s work. The Strategic Plan should include high level goals, activities and indicators of progress and should be accompanied by a realistic budget projection in terms of income (including concrete sources of funding) and expenditures.
The scope of work for the consultant will include but not be limited to:
- Analysis of existing ITF documents (reports, Steering Committee minutes, grant applications and reports to donors, etc.).
- Consultation with members of ITF’s Steering Committee, Grant Making Panel and staff.
- Stakeholder consultation with activists and current and former ITF grantee partners.
- Identifying focus areas, developing strategic objectives and key results through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis.
- Proposing a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results.
- Developing a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period.
- Holding a meeting with the ITF Steering Committee to validate the draft Strategic Plan.
- Finalizing the Strategic Plan.
The consultant will deliver:
- A Strategic Plan including a results, capacity building, and resources framework.
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations.
A draft Strategic Plan must be presented to the Steering Committee in September 2019. The final Strategic Plan must be completed by November 2019.
6. Institutional Arrangements
The consultant will report directly to the ITF Director. The ITF Working Group will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment and shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the consultancy.
- At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management.
- Knowledge of human rights, especially as they relate to the human rights of trans people.
- Knowledge of participatory grantmaking is an added advantage.
8. Skills and Competencies
- High level written and oral communications skills in English or Spanish (the ITF’s two official languages).
- High capability in translating complex data into written reports.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience and competency working with trans communities and in international contexts.
- Excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting across cultures and diverse communities with humility, integrity and respect.
9. Additional Considerations
- Trans people are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants born or who originate from a Global South country are encouraged to apply.
10. Application Process
In order to be considered for this role:
- Submit a CV/resume, a letter highlighting your relevant qualifications and two references.
- Attach a short plan for this work, including a proposed timeline and a budget up to a maximum of $30,000 USD. The bid should contain a description of how the development and production of the new Strategic Plan would be carried out, a time plan, estimated number of hours required and cost per hour. Please estimate the time needed for each phase of your proposed consultancy plan.
- One relevant work sample.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22, 2019.
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)