The ITF is a trans activist and funder-led initiative that aims to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self-determination, and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe. The ITF is hosted at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
Due to the chronic and long-term underfunding of the trans movement, many trans groups lack capacity within their organizations. A survey of 455 trans organizations conducted in 2016 by AJWS (American Jewish World Service), GATE (Global Action for Trans Equality) and Astraea found that capacity-building needs of trans groups were highest in the area of organizational development, including fundraising and grant writing, budgeting and financial management, monitoring and evaluation and developing effective programs and services. There is an urgent need to provide these groups with non-financial resources in the form of capacity-building to ensure long-term impact and support the development of strong, trans-led movements.
The ITF seeks a committed, collaborative and organized person to join our team as a Capacity Building Officer. This is a full-time, remote position. The Capacity Building Officer will be tasked with supporting the development of ITF’s capacity-building strategy and will work directly with grantee partners and the broader trans movement on capacity-building initiatives. This position reports to the Director and will work closely with the Program Officer.
We seek someone who can be creative with how to best provide capacity-building for trans-led organizations around the world. The position requires the ability to:
- Assess what common needs are and provide both broad and tailored approaches to capacity-building.
- Understand the many capacity needs that may exist, including security, infrastructure strengthening, leadership burnout, etc.
- Work across multiple cultures, communities and languages.
The main responsibilities of this position
- Provision of capacity-building to ITF grantee partners through direct support (e.g. through approaches such as peer exchanges, webinars, mentorship programs, advice on organizational development and strategic thinking, etc.).
- Design and deliver targeted webinars to ITF grantee partners (e.g. strategy development, financial management, resource mobilization and organization and member safety and security).
- Develop and deliver a proposal review service for trans-led groups in order to build groups’ organizational development and grantwriting skills.
- Support the development of resources to enable groups to apply for ITF funding, targeting groups in the Global South.
- Support the Program Officer to deliver interactive funding webinars.
- Establish relationships and strategy with trans networks in the Global South in order to build the capacity of local trans-led groups.
- Work with Strategic Planning consultant to further develop ITF’s capacity-building strategy.
- Minimum three years of work experience related to capacity-building actions with concrete involvement in the design/delivery of capacity-building activities.
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global trans movements.
- Excellent presentation skills and significant experience with training delivery.
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, and work well with others in a fast-paced environment. Should be able to organize and prioritize own work with limited supervision.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions.
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- Intermediate to expert level experience in computer applications like MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access) and must be internet/web savvy.
- Applicants must be fluent in English. Competence in Spanish is a strong asset.
- This is a remote position and candidates can be based in any part of the world. US work authorization is not required. The ITF is not able to offer visa sponsorship for this position.
- Trans people are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants born or who originate from a Global South country are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
The salary range for this position is $60,000-70,000 USD/year commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected] in .pdf, doc, or .docx format by Feb 1, 2019. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
ITF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.transfund.org.
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)