The ITF seeks an organized, creative and flexible person to join our team as a Program Intern. You must be experienced and passionate about global trans movements. The deadline to apply is October 31, 2018.
The ITF is an activist and funder-led initiative that aims to increase the capacity of trans movements globally to self-organize and advocate for trans people’s rights, self-determination, and wellbeing. The ITF works to mobilize sustainable resources to help build strong, trans-led movements and collective action, and to address and eliminate funding gaps impacting trans groups across the globe. The ITF is hosted at Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
Under the supervision of the Program Associate and/or the Executive Director of ITF, the Program Intern will provide program assistance and administrative functions to the organization. This position provides an intern with an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in nonprofit settings and with global trans movements, with potential opportunities for special projects depending on the intern’s skills. Orientation and training is required and provided. Program Interns work closely with ITF’s Program Associate to learn about, and contribute to, our support of over 30 trans-led groups around the world. In addition to learning about ITF’s history and values, Program Interns receive training and guidance on our progressive grantmaking model and learn about trans, feminist and social justice movements globally. Interns can expect to be involved in a variety of aspects of ITF’s grantmaking, including:
- Proposal Intake.
- Responding to inquiries from applicants and grantees.
- Reference checks for groups going to panel.
- Translation of eligible proposals for review.
- Translating key documents to facilitate outreach and communication with grantee partners.
ITF particularly seeks interns with Spanish, or other language proficiency, in addition to English.
- This position is based in Astraea’s NY office with an immediate start date, US work authorization is required. ITF is not able to offer visa sponsorship for this position.
- Trans people are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants born or who originate from a global south country are strongly encouraged to apply for this role.
- Detail-oriented, able to follow directions, and take initiative when needed.
- Outgoing and friendly personality, professional demeanor.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
Time & Remuneration
$13/hour increasing to $15/hour effective January 1, 2019.
The Intern will be required to work at minimum 2 full days per week, or 3 partial days per week, and no more than 21 hours per week. Internships have a maximum commitment of 6 months.
Our internships offer you the opportunity to:
- Explore career opportunities – by working in philanthropy, you can receive an inside look at your potential career path.
- Network – meet a variety of people involved in philanthropy through your internship, allowing you to form relationships you can build on in the future.
- Find mentors – we value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.
Who we are looking for:
- Organized, creative and flexible person to join our team.
- Experienced and passionate about global trans movements.
How to Apply
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected] in .pdf, doc, or .docx format by October 31, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
The ITF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.transfund.org.